Friday, September 20, 2013

Often Overlooked

Sitting on my old, dorm room desk, with the laminate top that is supposed to resemble wood grain, sits a small, glass figurine that I often overlook. It makes sense for this small figurine, which is only the size of a large grape, to be overlooked. This small desk trinket has a clear, shiny glass body, and light pink wings to it. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s Penelope the Pig. I promise I did not name the pig. The name was on the box it came with. Penelope was something my mom saw in Pier One Imports and just couldn't pass up getting me since pigs are my favorite animal. Penelope the Pig sits on my desk as a reminder of the well-known phrase, “when pigs fly.” It’s an important reminder for myself, that even though people may tell me that I can’t do something or that it’s impossible, I know I can if I put my mind to it. Penelope the Pig has wings, which means she can do the impossible and can fly. I can accomplish anything I set my mind to, and Penelope reminds me of the Bible verse Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Anything is possible, even pigs flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment